Along with lemon essential oil, lavender essential oil is one of my favorite and most used essential oils. Lavender is known for its calming and relaxing properties, but it is also useful for a variety of things. Here are my top 10 favorite uses for lavender:
1. Lavender Vanilla Sugar Scrub. This scrub is so easy to make and is quickly becoming my favorite scrub. The word that comes to mind when I use it is luxurious.
2. Lavender Linen/Room Spray. I keep a bottle of this by my bed to mist my sheets and pillows at night. It is so easy to make. Just fill a small glass spray bottle (I use ones that are 2 oz.) with distilled water and add your lavender essential oil. I use about 30 drops in my 2 oz. bottles, but you can start with less and adjust. **Tip: This same mixture can be sprayed on skin to relieve sunburn.
3. Homemade Deodorant. This recipe uses both lavender and tea tree essential oils.
4. Air Freshener. Fill a jar about 1/2 full of baking soda along with 10-15 drops of lavender essential oil. Using a hammer and nail, poke holes in the lid and place somewhere your air needs freshening. I keep mine in the bathroom and add dried lavender buds as well.
5. Mattress Cleaner. Add several drops of lavender essential oil to a cup of baking soda and sprinkle over mattress. Leave for an hour and then vacuum up.
6. Insect/Bug Bites and Bee Stings. Add 2-3 drops lavender essential oil to 1 TBSP carrier oil and apply to insect/bug bite to relieve itching.
7. Aromatherapy Dough. Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your homemade playdough. This will not only make the playdough smell great, but can also provide the kids with a calming dose of aromatherapy making it a perfect activity before nap time!
8. Lavender Salve. This is perfect for dry patches of skin and dry hands. Or rub it on the soles of your feet at bedtime and cover with socks to moisturize and promote restful sleep.
9. Lavender Massage Oil. Add 10-15 drops of lavender essential oil to 4 oz. of carrier oil (such as almond oil) and enjoy a stress reducing massage. You can also add 3-5 drops of lavender essential oil to a hot bath after a stressful day.
10. Soothing Lavender Foot Scrub. This scrub is perfect for tired feet. It exfoliates, moisturizes, relaxes and calms.
For more ideas on how to use essential oils, check out my Essential Oils Board on Pinterest.
Do you have a favorite use for lavender essential oil? Please share!