I recently got to take a quick get away to visit a close friend and old roommate from college, Nicole. We always have the best time together and she always makes something delicious for dinner.
On this particular night she had a bunch of asparagus that needed to be used so we started looking through her cookbooks for something to make with it. I, of course, pulled up my Seasonal Recipes for Spring Pinterest Board to look for ideas.
We decided to do a version of this Shaved Asparagus Pizza from Smitten Kitchen and it turned out great.
All I had with me was the phone on my camera, so these pictures don’t really do the pizza justice, but they’re all I have.
Shaved Asparagus and Caramelized Onion Pizza Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
favorite pizza dough
1 bunch of asparagus
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 pound grated mozzarella
2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
1 Tbsp. + 2 teaspoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
crushed red pepper (optional)
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat your grill or oven. (We made ours on the grill.)
2. If your dough needs to rise, don’t forget to make it ahead of time.
3. Using a vegetable peeler, shave your asparagus into long, thin ribbons. It works best if you hold onto the tough end of the asparagus rather than snapping off the tough ends as you would normally do when preparing asparagus. After shaving the asparagus, you can dispose of the tough ends.
4. Toss the asparagus ribbons in the 2 teaspoons of olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
5. Slice onion thinly. In a skillet on the stove, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and toss onion slices over medium heat until translucent and caramelized.
6. Roll out your pizza dough. If cooking pizza directly on the grill, cook one side of dough, remove and then add toppings.
7. To assemble pizza: Sprinkle pizza dough with Parmesan and mozzarella. Add asparagus and caramelized onion. Then crumble goat cheese on top. Bake pizza for 10 to 15 minutes, or until edges are browned and cheese is bubbly.
8. While pizza is cooking, slice scallions and tarragon and toss together.
Remove from the oven/grill and immediately sprinkle with scallions and tarragon, then slice and enjoy!
Check out Life as Mom for more great grilling recipes!