Looking for a perfect Fall recipe? This is one of my favorites, and it’s super easy (like, toss in the crock-pot easy,) and delicious! I got this recipe from my good friend and old college roommate, who’s amazing at experimenting in the kitchen and coming up with all kinds of tasty dishes (thanks Monica!) Oh, and it’s also gluten-free! Enjoy!
Autumn Herbed Chicken with Fennel and Squash
- 3-4 lbs chicken thighs or breasts (I used breasts)
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 1 fennel bulb, cut
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 1 t dried thyme
- 3/4 c walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 c chicken broth
- 1/2 apple cider or juice
- Cooked rice or quinoa
- 1/4 c fresh basil sliced into ribbons
- 2 t fresh rosemary finely minced
Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, and place in slow cooker.
Add fennel, squash and thyme. Stir well to combine. Add walnuts (if desired), broth and cider. Cover; cook on low 5 to 7 hours or on high 2.5-4.5 hours.
Serve over rice or quinoa and garnish with basil and fresh rosemary. Makes 6 servings.
- You can double the amount of chicken broth if you want to make it more saucy.
- I usually add the squash in for the last couple hours of cooking only so it doesn’t get too mushy.
- I like to add some rosemary in the crock pot as its cooking for extra flavor. Yum!
This post was originally published April 16, 2011.